Website Hosting is when a company provides a server on lease or provides access through their own server along with internet connection to another company to host their websites online. Companies which offer such services are called Web Hosting Providers or Hosting Companies.
The best method of finding a website hosting package from a company to suite your needs is to check on their price and features. The first work of a website hosting package is to manage your web space or the main file. Significant website hosting system files such as your public_html sub-folder that let people to check out your site as long as you want are saved in this directory. Yet another task is protecting your website content. The subsequent job is to make certain you are in a position to use the package features such as e-mail account creation etc by managing the set of tools (Control panel) which is available with the package. One good company I often recommend is Bluehost (read it here).
There are a lot of such packages in the market with diverse characteristics. The important features, however, are the same in all website hosting packages. Some features available are.
- Amount of Storage: The selection of package should be decided by the size of your site and the amount of gigabytes of storage you need.
- Amount of Bandwidth: In a month, the amount of upload and download of data that a user can carry out on a website is referred to as bandwidth. When you go beyond your website hosting package limit, you will be charged an additional fee or your site will become inaccessible.
- Managing Domains and Subdomains: The ability of extension and incorporating a variety of subdomains is a very good feature to have in a package.
- Additional Features: Check if the package provides additional features such as e-mails, addition of widgets and applications such as mobile application which allows you to access your site administration etc.
- Tech Support: It is very important to know what type of support your package offers such as email, ticketing, live chat etc.
- Language Support: Make certain that the package offers support for various server languages other than PHP.
- Site Backup: Just because your site is connected to the internet doesn’t mean there is no chance of data loss. Ensure that your package offers site files and database backups.
- Operating System: If you are using Open Source language then you don’t have to worry about the distribution. However, if you are using ASP.NET it requires Windows hosting which is expensive, though most hosts provide options.